Saturday, December 19, 2009

we'll get you there

When it comes to travel, I've led quite a charmed existence. I've heard the travel tales that make you want to curl up under the covers and forget the holidays all together...lost suitcases chock full of gifts, family pets who ended up in Boise when the owner traveled to Lauderdale, delays that inched up into days. I've always listened (puffed up with joy that the horrors of travel fell upon them, not me) with great compassion.. Today, I appear to be falling off of my blissful travel throne even as I type.

You see, I'm on hold with Delta.

I called Delta yesterday to which I was greeted with a "We don't even have a weather advisory yet ma'am". Thank you friendly, helpful Delta lady.

At 6:31 am, I called in hopes of reaching the same helpful agent. I had planned on updating her about the weather. After about 15 minutes, I decided that surely something had happened and my call got overlooked on their big, magical telephone board with white blinking lights. So, I hung up and dialed back.

Busy.

Maybe there's some truth that God will test you in the areas you have the most trouble with. I always thought I was a pretty patient person.

A few re-dials later, I'm quickly back on with the Delta listening to holiday on hold music and sales pitch recordings...."Did you know when you book your vacation with Delta, you can earn valuable bonus points towards car rental?' Well, No! Oh my goodness! I did not know that! I wonder if you are an Elite Member if there is some secret Elite Code that gets your call answered.

7:46 am.

Now stay with me because the following happened pretty fast.

I decide to purchase a 1 way ticket on Jet Blue, that will help me miss the storm the TV weather person referred to as "one great big wall of snow".

"Thank you for calling Delta Airlines, this is Miss Tanner. How may I be of help to you today?"

At that very moment Punkin leaps onto my lap, tennis ball in mouth, and pulls the earpiece out of the phone. (I wonder if the SPCA would take him back after 4 years).

Heart racing, I jam the cord back in and by the grace of God, Miss Tanner is still there, waiting to be of service to me.

I tell my story to her.

"I'm sorry Miss Hull, we can't change your flight, without penalty, until your original flight has been officially cancelled"

Scream.

"Let me check something with my supervisor Miss Hull. Please hold."

Giddy up giddy up giddy up lets go....sleigh ride together for 2....saw mama kissing Santa clause...did you know that when you book your vacation with Delta you can earn valuable......

"OK, Miss Hull I've checked with my supervisor and you cannot change your flight without penalty until your original flight has been officially cancelled."

8:49 am.

This is what I have learned...

You must let go of that which you have no control over.

Black berries are not Corell dishes and do break when thrown.





















No comments:

Post a Comment